ONLINE LIVE STREAMING COURSE
5 Sessions in real time (approx 4 hrs/each session), October 10th to 14th, 2022
A profitable development of an oil or gas field starts with a good understanding of the subsurface. As part of a PE team the development geologist interprets subsurface data and provides geological models that form the basis for development planning.
Who should attend
Engineers, Geologists, Geophysicists and all those involved in reservoir appraisal and development projects.
Participants need a basic understanding of Reservoir/Petroleum Geology and preferably some 2 - 4 year's experience.
During this course the "development life cycle" starting with the gathering of geological data, the interpretation thereof, the preparation of geological models and the quantification of subsurface uncertainty are discussed. The development geologist is equipped with the skills to construct these models. Attention is given to the impact on field operations and on field management during its entire lifecycle.
Learning, methods and tools
In addition to the ones quoted in the course schedule (relating to a realistic Field) dedicated exercises are included throughout the course to ensure participants understand the concepts discussed.
At the end of the course participants will be able:
- to apply geological concepts, construct maps and sections and validate computer-generated interpretations.
- be able to calculate subsurface volumes and assess their uncertainties. They will learn how to prepare a well proposal.
- to plan appraisal wells and assess their economic value. They will acquire practical experience by working on an actual field study in teams.
- to better understand their role in the development life-cycle.
Day by day programme
Introduction & Course Overview
- The energy business, development projects, subsurface data
- Scope of the energy/oil & gas business, Oil and gas development projects
- General Geological Concepts
- Petroleum Geology Introduction, exercise correlation
- Introduction to Field Exercise
- Overnight: Self-study and exercise on Map preparation.
Subsurface Models, Input Data and Concepts
- Seismic data gathering, processing and interpretation
- Structural types, traps, fault seals, maps and sections
- Clastic sedimentary environments
- Exercise -Field Appraisal planning
- Overnight: Self-study and exercise Appraisal Map preparation.
Measurements and Evaluation of Subsurface Data
- Log and core data, application and uncertainties
- Exercise -Isochore mapping
- Subsurface Pressures,
- Exercise -Estimating fluid contacts using pressure data
- Volumetrics and handling uncertainties
- Exercise -How to (simply) estimate Volumes from a map
- Introduction to Subsurface development planning
- Overnight - Exercise: Map preparation using different structural settings.
Subsurface Development Options
- Basic well technology, horizontal wells, well data
- Exercise -Selecting static and dynamic models
- Field Operations, Well Design, Geological Input in well proposal
- Surface Development Options, Project Planning, Phased Costs
- Introduction to preparing a development plan
- Overnight - Exercise: Preparation of subsurface development plan
Field Operations and Development
- Basic project economics and financial performance indicators
- Impact of Subsurface Uncertainty on Project Economics
- Exercises Field Project Economics: Determine project economics and sensitivities using an Excel economics spreadsheet